The Play Exchange Winner has been revealed, as voted by Canadians
Government of Canada invests in healthy living idea Trottibus
OTTAWA, Feb, 2, 2015 /CNW/ – Today, the Honourable Rona Ambrose, Minister of Health, along with TJ Flood, Senior Vice-President, Marketing, Canadian Tire, announced that Canadians from across the country chose Trottibus as the winner of The Play Exchange, a national challenge to seek out innovative ideas to promote healthier, active living across Canada.
Trottibus Walking School Bus is an innovative active transportation idea submitted by the Canadian Cancer Society. As a pedestrian bus service, it provides elementary school children a safe and fun way to get to school every day of the week all the while being active.
Trottibus will receive up to $1 million in investment funding from the federal government to put their active living plan into action across the country.
The Play Exchange is a partnership between the Public Health Agency of Canada, Canadian Tire and LIFT Philanthropy Partners (LIFT) with support from CBC.
The top six finalists were announced last fall and each received mentoring and support from LIFT to develop strategic business plans for their ideas. All six ideas were showcased on a national CBC television special in early January with Canadians choosing the winner by voting online for what they felt was the best active living idea.
- The goal of The Play Exchange was to bring together the expertise, resources and reach of the public and private sectors to inspire Canadians to live healthier more active lifestyles.
- Only four percent of Canadian children are getting the recommended amount of daily physical activity.
- A third of all Canadian children and youth are already overweight or obese.
- The economic costs of obesity are estimated at $4.6 billion in 2008, based on costs associated with the eight chronic diseases most consistently linked to obesity.
- Missed the chance to watch the top six finalists showcased on CBC? You can watch it online here.
- More information about The Play Exchange and Trottibus, as well as the other finalists, is available on The Play Exchange website.
“I’m proud of the hard work Canadians across the country have put into encouraging children, youth, young and old to get moving and stay healthy, through The Play Exchange. I hope Canadians have been inspired by these innovative ideas, in particular the six finalists and today’s winner, to make healthier choices and live more active lives. I look forward to working with Trottibus and seeing this project in action. I am certain it will have a positive and lasting impact in making Canada healthier.”
The Honourable Rona Ambrose
Minister of Health
“Congratulations to all six finalists of The Play Exchange, including Trottibus. Today’s exciting announcement is proof that by working together, empowering communities and sharing ideas, we can inspire Canadians to lead more active, healthy lives. We are thrilled to help Trottibus turn their idea into reality because together we all play for Canada.”
Senior Vice-President, Marketing, Canadian Tire
“Partnerships of this nature, involving the three key sectors, are what we need to tackle Canada’s health issues and strengthen the innovative social purpose organizations that have the ideas and the programs to help Canadians. We congratulate all six finalists, particularly Trottibus for their winning idea.”
LIFT Philanthropy Partners