LIFT selects not-for-profit, social enterprises and other social purpose organizations that address health, skills development, education and employment. We narrow our focus to organizations with proven track records and unrealized potential for substantial growth. These organizations demonstrate an eagerness for creating scalable social impact, and an openness to evolving their method of business.
During our selection process, we evaluate social purpose organizations to determine their alignment with our selection criteria. As we invest in a limited number of organizations each year, we conduct thorough due diligence on potential investments to ensure the most suitable organizations are selected for our LIFT model.
LIFT is a partnership of like-minded people who believe in not simply donating to charity, but in creating prosperity for all Canadians. We do not fund projects or offer funding alone. We support selected organizations by providing them with a valuable combination of skills, expertise and resources to improve their operations, accountability and measurement practices over the long term.
The organizations we select are established and poised for growth, but can benefit from support beyond funding to scale their impact, and become more effective and sustainable. Ideally, these organizations have been in operation for a minimum of three years; have annual expenditures of between $750,000 and $2 million; and have audited financial statements available for review.
For LIFT to consider working with your social purpose organization, you must be able to answer “yes” to the following questions:
- Is your organization a not-for-profit, charity, social enterprise, foundation, association or co-operative that is based in Canada with programs delivered in Canadian communities?
- Does your organization offer measurable social impact in health, skills development, education and/or employment?
- Does your organization have reports and statistics that demonstrate its social impact in Canadian communities (e.g. outreach, participation, results, etc.)?
- Does your organization have a clear understanding of its theory of change (e.g. why the program works to deliver measurable results) and an understanding of the activities required to produce successful results?
- Does your organization have a strong desire and a plan to improve effectiveness and increase its social impact?
- Is your organization interested in collaborating with LIFT’s model, which includes hands-on management support, engagement of a partner network of experts, performance metrics, and accountability practices?
LIFT will not invest in the following:
- Start-ups or pilot projects
- Municipalities, universities, schools, hospitals
- One-time projects
- Capital infrastructure projects
- Program or operational costs
Submission of Interest
Social purpose organizations that meet the above selection criteria may complete a submission of interest form. We review these submissions quarterly and select a limited number of organizations to proceed through our selection process.