LIFT Philanthropy Partners selects social purpose organizations with proven success in delivering measurable social impact in the areas of health, skills development, education and employment. These organizations demonstrate a strong desire for growth, an eagerness for creating scalable social impact, and an openness to evolving their method of business.
During our selection process, we evaluate social purpose organizations to determine their alignment with our selection criteria. As we only invest in a limited number of organizations each year, we conduct thorough due diligence on potential investments to ensure we select the organizations most suitable for our LIFT model.
We do not fund projects or offer funding alone. We only support organizations through our venture philanthropy approach where we provide a valuable combination of skills, expertise and resources over three years to support social purpose organizations to increase their social impact.
The organizations we select are established and poised for growth, but can benefit from support beyond funding to scale their impact, and become more effective and sustainable. Ideally, these organizations have been in operation for a minimum of three years; have annual expenditures of between $750,000 and $2 million; and have audited financial statements available for review.
For LIFT to consider working with a social purpose organization, it must be able to answer “yes” to the following questions:
- Is the organization a not-for-profit, charity, social enterprise, foundation, association or co-operative that is based in Canada with programs delivered in Canadian communities?
- Does the organization offer measurable social impact in health, skills development, education and/or employment?
- Does the organization have reports and statistics that demonstrate its social impact in Canadian communities (e.g. outreach, participation, results, etc.)?
- Does the organization have a clear understanding of its theory of change (e.g. why the program works to deliver measurable results) and an understanding of the activities required to produce successful results?
- Does the organization have a strong desire and a plan to improve effectiveness and increase its social impact?
- Is the organization interested in collaborating with LIFT’s model, which includes hands-on management support, engagement of a partner network of experts, performance metrics, and accountability practices?
LIFT will not invest in the following:
- Start-ups or pilot projects
- Municipalities, universities, schools, hospitals
- One-time projects
- Capital infrastructure projects
- Program or operational costs
Submission of Interest
Social purpose organizations that meet the above selection criteria may complete a submission of interest form. We review these submissions quarterly and select a limited number of organizations to proceed through our selection process.